The Guilty Party

Monday, January 23, 2012

Fun with the old 135

Decades ago I saved up and bought a Nikon FM camera. I loved that camera. Sturdy, reliable, just a wonderfully designed and built instrument. And it got even better when I was able to purchase a couple of extra lenses for it. The first quickly became my favorite. A 135mnm telephoto lens made by Vivitar that can focus all the way down to a 1 to 2 ratio. In other words, when cranked all the way to minimum distance focus the image on the negative or slide (remember those?) comes out half life size. Pretty close. For years now the ol' Nikon and its lenses have been sitting in the closet, victim to first Lack of Time and Funds (film and processing costs) and then the Digital Revolution. Recently, I was able to acquire a Nikon digital SLR that came with a couple of lovely zoom lenses. Very versatile, but no real macro capabilities. Lucky for me the 135mm fits. All the settings have to be done manually, just like in the good ol' FM days, but it's a fun one to trot out every once in a while when I'm in the mood for getting up close and detailed.









Had so much fun I just had to do a few more. This time I tried to use the maximum minimum, as it were, for each shot.










 

No comments:

A Bit About Me

My photo
I am a writer with a longtime interest in photography. I'm a dad, husband, photographer, and not very good guitarist. My first novel, Boomerang, is available in both paperback and ebook form at Amazon, Barnes and Noble and Smashwords.com. As a matter of fact, my second novel, The Baer Boys, can be found at exactly the same places.