The Guilty Party

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

The Garden


Been a while, hasn't it? Shame on me, but there just hasn't been much of anything I've felt blogworthy for quite some time. But a couple of days ago while putting in the Spring/Summer version of the vegetable garden I thought, "Hey, how about doing something with this?" And so that's what we're doing.

My vegetable garden is modest in size, maybe five by twenty-five or so (purely an estimate, I've never really measured it) and honestly most of the time it is either neglected or disappointing. But this Fall/Winter crop of Rainbow Swiss Chard and various lettuce varieties  has done pretty well and so I am feeling hopeful for the coming seasons. So hopeful that I put in tomatoes. And I haven't had a decent tomato crop since I don't know when. Either they get fried by the sun or eaten by the birds or just shrivel up and die all on their own. Maybe, just maybe, this year will be different.

Anyhoo, this is the plan. Once a week or so I will take photos of each of the beds and we (both of us, just in case you're still out there) can follow the heartening progress or heartbreaking deterioration of my horticultural efforts. The bed you see above is likely not long for this world as it has the chard and a row of leaf lettuce that is sure to expire once the temps hit the high notes, which won't be long.

Here are the other beds.







Just to the left of the chard and lettuce we have the nevereverever say die mint plant up front, with cilantro, Greek oregano in the middle and a couple of tomato plants in the back. I intended to purchase a couple of heirloom tomato plants of the Rutgers variety (the name sounds cool), but somehow picked up one Rutgers and one hybrid called Ace 55. When the cashier pointed it out I got another Rutgers. I apparently neglected to make clear that I didn't want the hybrid, because she rang it up too. I didn't notice until I had already planted one of each side by side in this bed and then wondered why I had another tomato plant in the tray. What the heck, we'll see how they do next to each other.






Here are three pepper plants. The two in the back were simply labeled at Yellow Bell and Red Bell. The one in the front is Santa Fe Grande.



The mass of various lettuce types is doing okay now, but it likely isn't long for this world. Till it fries we're getting salads everyday.



In the back of this small bed are two basil plants. That is one thing I have had good luck with these past several years and for that I am grateful. Love pesto. Now if I could only grow Parmesan cheese.


In the corner is the blackberry bramble. This is from a cutting my parents gave us years ago from the blackberry plant in their backyard. We grew them at our home in Chandler and took a rootling from that to put in the ground here in Mesa and most years it does okay. May is when it usually gives us berries. Some crops are better than others, but any time you can go in your backyard and pick fresh berries is a better day.


Can't forget the grape vine we just purchased. Thompson Seedless. Supposedly these will grow and produce in the hell that is the Arizona summer. We'll see. Sure would be cool.

I hope you are doing well. Thanks for dropping by.




No comments:

A Bit About Me

My photo
I am a writer with a longtime interest in photography. I'm a dad, husband, photographer, and not very good guitarist. My first novel, Boomerang, is available in both paperback and ebook form at Amazon, Barnes and Noble and Smashwords.com. As a matter of fact, my second novel, The Baer Boys, can be found at exactly the same places.