The Guilty Party

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Been Out in the Wilderness

 

DSC_0021

It’s been a while, hasn’t it? Well, can’t say as I have a great excuse, but I do have a reason. And that reason is computers. As in the computer I was using to create these little blog posts went all squirrely on me months ago and the new one, which is one of those little netbook things, is lovely, but I had no idea how to get photos on the darned thing. I hope that has changed.

The picture you see here was taken during a much too short hike on the Peralta Trail in the Superstition Mountains, just east of beautiful Mesa, Arizona, my hometown. I hadn’t been out exploring this rather amazing bit of nature in way too many decades and wouldn’t you know it, the reason we finally went out there was because we had an Out Of Town Visitor. Isn’t that always the way it is? You don’t make time for the really interesting stuff close to home until you’ve got somebody to entertain. Our guest for about a week and a half was a very nice high school student from Australia who was traveling with a group that coordinates host families with the high school our daughter attends. She had lots of planned excursions with the rest of the group during the weekdays, but for the two weekends she was here it was up to us to try to show her a special spot or two around our part of the world. The first weekend we attended a performance of “Shrek, The Musical” at Grady Gammage on the Arizona State University campus. The second Saturday we took the light rail to downtown Phoenix to se the Heard Museum. And on Sunday we took our hike in the rugged, beautiful Superstitions, the place of Lost Dutchman Gold Mine fame.

That’s all the news to report for now. If I’ve actually got this new computer figured out enough I should be posting more frequently.

Best, Alan

No comments:

A Bit About Me

My photo
I am a writer with a longtime interest in photography. I'm a dad, husband, photographer, and not very good guitarist. My first novel, Boomerang, is available in both paperback and ebook form at Amazon, Barnes and Noble and Smashwords.com. As a matter of fact, my second novel, The Baer Boys, can be found at exactly the same places.