The Guilty Party

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Words Since Last Update: 221

Current Word Count: 14674

Current Chapter: Still Chapter Seven

What was I saying yesterday about loving short chapters? Going on so proudly about producing an entire, if admittedly petite, chapter in one day? I couldn't leave the darned thing alone and now 221 words later it is less a size three and maybe closer to a size seven. Still svelte, but I'd better watch the excess verbiage calories or Brevity is Wit will become Shut Up Before Someone Throws Something at You.

I hope the additions make it better. I won't worry about it too much for now because it is time to move on to Chapter Eight! What will happen? Who will be involved? Will there finally be a corpse? Will Jerry get a beer? All these and many other questions will be answered as soon as I get my butt in gear and start writing.

On the way home from work today I was listening to an interview with British musician Imogen Heap. I had kind of, sort of heard of her, but had no familiarity with her music. What I found out from the interview was that she likes to use all sorts of things to create the sounds in her songs and she is very fond of the connection with her listeners that she gets through blogging and Tweeting (is that supposed to be capitalized?) Her latest album was created very much in the public eye, with her blogging about it and sharing ideas and feedback with those who were interested. One quote in particular caught my attention:

"It's been so amazing. I've always struggled with this barrier that I felt like I'd had up until blogging came along," Heap says. "Just one comment from somebody really sparks something in me. It doesn't need to be this huge war between me and the listeners anymore. I really thrive on that."

While I have no illusions about achieving the sort of widespread attention Ms. Heap's imaginative and really quite fun music have gotten her, I do think it would be great to have actual by-golly readers* checking out and even chiming in about what I am doing here. Like Ms. Heap, I find a real spark is generated when that sort of interaction takes place. We'll just have to see if the process of writing a novel holds anything like the fascination the making of music.

We're coming up on the one month anniversary of Writing a Novel, Living a Life. I have added about twelve thousand words to this early draft since August 3rd. On September 3rd we'll come up with my precise progress. But in any case, not bad, especially for me. I am mostly doing this on faith, pretty sure that hardly anybody is watching, hardly anybody really caring if I make it to the end. If you would like to bring some spark to the festivities, please know that it will be most welcome.

Here's a link to the interview with Imogen Heap. I think it is worth listening to.

NPR interview with Imogen Heap

See ya.
*It's relatively easy to catch the eye of other not-yet-successful writers, all you have to do is promise to read their stuff and tell them it is brilliant. Not nearly the same thing.

No comments:

A Bit About Me

My photo
I am a writer with a longtime interest in photography. I'm a dad, husband, photographer, and not very good guitarist. My first novel, Boomerang, is available in both paperback and ebook form at Amazon, Barnes and Noble and Smashwords.com. As a matter of fact, my second novel, The Baer Boys, can be found at exactly the same places.