The Guilty Party

Sunday, September 6, 2009

Sunday, September 6, 2009

Words Since Last Update: 214

Current Word Count: 15821

Current Chapter: Eight

Today is Dad's birthday. He would have been 87 years old. I miss him.

It seems the friendlier my day-job schedule is toward my personal/family life, the less time I have to write. When I had a long string of shifts that started no earlier than 10:00 AM and often started as late as 1:00 PM or later, I was cranking out words at a pretty good clip early in the day before going to work. Now, with a week of mostly early shifts behind me, I can see that progress has slowed considerably.

It's always something.

Most of the progress that I have made the last couple of days has to do with what I guess I will have to accept as part of my writing life, which is Going Back and Making it Better. I have, I think, worked out a couple of kinks that could have come back to bite me in the butt (not to mention cause considerable work) if I had left them for later. Plus, in reworking Chapter Seven a bit I found some clarity for the action I needed in Chapter Eight. So, although my net word count is a miserable 214 over the past couple of days, I've probably written closer to seven or eight hundred as previous bits have been sliced, diced and chucked into the disposal.

Anyway, I just spent over three hours on my Sunday off writing my own performance review for my day job. We won't go into details beyond that. So now I have just a bit of time to turn in my report card here, and squeeze in a few minutes of novel writing before family time takes over (as well it should).

Sixteen thousand is a tougher nut to crack than I thought it would be. But next time we'll be there.

See ya.


Oh, and remember, if you would like to see what I've written so far (and yes, I update the chapters whenever I make changes), you can find them at my Wordpress blog.
Writing a Novel, Living a Life.

No comments:

A Bit About Me

My photo
I am a writer with a longtime interest in photography. I'm a dad, husband, photographer, and not very good guitarist. My first novel, Boomerang, is available in both paperback and ebook form at Amazon, Barnes and Noble and Smashwords.com. As a matter of fact, my second novel, The Baer Boys, can be found at exactly the same places.