The Guilty Party

Friday, September 11, 2009

Friday, September 11, 2009

Words Since Last Update: 401

Current Word Count: 17211

Current Chapter: Still Eight

I know, four hundred words seems pretty good, but honestly, I feel like I'm spinning my wheels, not really making progress. I've been stuck on this one section for way too long and at this point I would just like to walk right past it and try getting into the next one. It's not like I can't go back and make it better once I've given myself a bit of distance, which often provides clarity. And of course sometimes the answer shows up later anyway, and it's just a matter of going back and making the necessary adjustments. I like making adjustments.

I've been listening to Beethoven this afternoon. Spinning old LP's at first, with Walter Gieseking playing the Emperor Concerto and then Solti leading the Chicago Symphony Orchestra in the Sixth Symphony. Just switched to my Beethoven station on Pandora, which is currently serving up Jeno Jando playing Beethoven's Piano Sonata No. 13 in E flat major. I'm trying to get back that steely determination to forge ahead in spite of it all. If Ludwig could do it, with as challenging a life as he had, seems I should be able to, one would think.

Yesterday was another late one at work. Go in at three in the afternoon and leave around midnight. The last few weeks "around midnight" has meant a whole lot closer to 1:00 AM or later. This time we had a smaller shipment to process and even after taking care of some stuff that is normally left to the morning crew we were out of there by 11:30 PM. Not bad. I even had an idea while driving home that I tried to incorporate into this troublesome Chapter Eight. Problem was my mind wasn't exactly operating a top speed when I finally got to sit in front of the keyboard and what seemed so brilliant while cruising down the freeway was suddenly darned difficult to put into actual words that held together really well. So while I've done okay in piling on more words, I'm not so confident they are the right ones. We'll see.

Visited Mom today. She was more into her little world than ever, barely acknowledging my existence until just a few minutes before I was ready to leave. I had my guitar again, this time playing some of her favorite show tunes. Not a glimmer of recognition, whereas not that long ago she would give up a little smile or turn the pages for me, which although it was never when I really needed the pages turned, showed me she was at least engaged on some level.

When I came back home it was time for lunch. I had a bit more than half of a large frozen CPK pizza leftover from yesterday, or so I thought. When I took the foil off the plate in the fridge there was one small slice left. So lunch was that and a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and few under the breath choice words concerning food pilfering by ones own family.

It is away game night for the marching band tonight, so we will not be attending the game. Instead the wife and I will find ourselves a not very expensive place to have dinner for two and then come back home and watch "Sunshine Cleaning" on DVD. After that it's Stay Awake for the Phone Call telling me our vibraphone playing daughter is ready to end her very long day, come home and get some sleep. After, I would imagine, some sort of nourishing snack. I know I'd want something to eat.

Time to vanquish Chapter Eight. Here's my vow and I'll expect you to hold me to it: No matter how sloppy or generally unsatisfactory it may be at the end of my writing session today, Eight will be done.

At least for now.

And Nine will have at least its first few words.

See ya.

Oh, I've got to say that it has been good to see Boomerang register a couple of sales on Amazon lately. The only problem with these occassional sales is that it makes a person greedy. If two, then why not ten? Surely, there are ten souls out there who would enjoy the book? And if ten, why not ten thousand? Honestly, it's not that big of a leap.

Boomerang on Amazon

Or an autographed one directly from Yours Sincerely can be had right here with the nice PayPal connection near the top right. You can even tell me how you would like it signed. A popular choice is J.K. Rowling.

See ya.

Really.

No comments:

A Bit About Me

My photo
I am a writer with a longtime interest in photography. I'm a dad, husband, photographer, and not very good guitarist. My first novel, Boomerang, is available in both paperback and ebook form at Amazon, Barnes and Noble and Smashwords.com. As a matter of fact, my second novel, The Baer Boys, can be found at exactly the same places.