The Guilty Party

Monday, August 24, 2009

Sunday, August 23, 2009

Words Since Last Update: 251

Current Word Count: 11782

Current Chapter: Six

I think I mentioned that we went to see the movie “Julie and Julia”. And I’m just going to come right on out and admit that the story behind the movie was a major inspiration for doing this whole Blog About Getting Something Accomplished thing. Although I’ll bet Julie Powell was not the first and that lots and lots of other folks have done the same thing since: chronicling online their own personal climb up the mountain of their choosing. When something is a good idea there’s no reason for it not be see widespread use. We just can’t all expect the same sort of outcome. Heck, I have no expectations that my little adventure here will result in Amy Adams playing me in a popular movie. For one thing, she’s too short. I know, Meryl Streep played Julia Child, a woman who was, at 6′ 2″, a good eight inches taller than Streep. I spotted the platforms she was standing on and those weren’t flats she was wearing to the Cordon Bleu school.

But that’s not the point. The point is that even though I sort of realized it before, now it has become clearer to me that there are lots of folks who want to get something more from their lives and the ones who succeed are the ones who keep looking for a way to make it happen, to kickstart things. And then, and here’s the real point, they keep at it, even, or maybe especially, when it’s a pain in the ass to do so. You just gotta get up in the morning and get stuff done. Or else it don’t get done. And if you need something like a blog to give you focus and accountability, well, send a nice thank you note to whoever it was who gave us the internet and get on with it.

Yesterday was a screwy day from a scheduling standpoint. I’m never crazy about working Sundays, but if retail is what is paying bills, Sundays you will work, at least occassionally. But yesterday was a split work schedule, which can really mess with any sort of rhythm to your day. I had to be in to work at 7:30 AM for a two hour meeting (which of course ran over, but only by about ten minutes or so) and then I had to come back at 3:00PM. From 6:00 to 1o:00 PM, I headed up a team of four doing the initial setup for a sale that started the next day.

So it was early out of bed, quick breakfast and off to the meeting. Stop at the grocery store on the way back home. Have lunch with the family, watch a DVR’ed recording of “Psych”, which is silly and so I really like it, then try to help my daughter with her chemistry homework. I was of little use there, I think I helped her with one or two answers. I managed to sneak in about fifteen minutes of actual writing before I had to go to work again.

I’m still taking my walking wounded computer to work with me so I got a bit more writing done during my dinner break, which was shorter than usual. Lots of folks who wanted to talk to me, but I’ve got to admit I wasn’t putting up much of a fight about protecting my writing time. With the sale setup project on my mind, it was tough to dive into Ted and Jerry World. But I think I still got more done than I would have if I didn’t know I had this blog to report to. And even though I never had a chance to get immersed in the thing, I am finding there is something to be said for simply Getting Words Written. Might be good, might not. But Some Words is Always better than No Words.

I just wish I could serve them up to my family for dinner, like Julie Powell did after making a dish from “Mastering the Art of French Cooking”.

See ya.

No comments:

A Bit About Me

My photo
I am a writer with a longtime interest in photography. I'm a dad, husband, photographer, and not very good guitarist. My first novel, Boomerang, is available in both paperback and ebook form at Amazon, Barnes and Noble and Smashwords.com. As a matter of fact, my second novel, The Baer Boys, can be found at exactly the same places.