The Guilty Party

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Monday, August 24, 2009

Words Since Last Update: 418

Current Word Count: 12200

Current Chapter: Six

I suppose some people are a whole lot better right from the get-go knowing and acting on the fact that we only get so many chances in this life to get ourselves on the right path. The fact that goes along with that one is that there is absolutely no way to know if the chance you've got right now is the last one. It's really easy to ignore this pretty important bit of info when you're young, but that doesn't mean the young are the only ones guilty of doing so. Every day I wake up next to my wife, every day I get to talk to my kids, every day I am given the chance to meet somebody interesting, and there are lots of interesting people out there, I need to make the best of it, because another chance may not happen.

Same with writing. If I've got a chance to put words down, whether it's on a notepad, a nice journal or here in my computer, I need to do it. Not dither about checking the Amazon ranking of Boomerang or seeing if anything earth shattering has happened on Facebook in the last five minutes. I may have another chance to get back to the writing, but even so, would the same words be coming out later? Doubtful. The words, sentences, paragraphs, revelations to me about my characters, surprise turns in the storyline that come out right now are bound to be different, and just maybe even better, than anything that might come later. Because there is always the danger that the good stuff won't wait around. In life, and in writing.

See ya.

No comments:

A Bit About Me

My photo
I am a writer with a longtime interest in photography. I'm a dad, husband, photographer, and not very good guitarist. My first novel, Boomerang, is available in both paperback and ebook form at Amazon, Barnes and Noble and Smashwords.com. As a matter of fact, my second novel, The Baer Boys, can be found at exactly the same places.