The Guilty Party

Friday, August 28, 2009

Friday, August 28, 2009

Words Since Last Update: 877 !!!

Current Word Count: 13639

Current Chapter: I think we’re about done with Chapter Six. Maybe.

If you would like to read what I have so far, that can be found on my Wordpress blog.

I am pretty happy with my word count for yesterday. The action moved forward and we got to meet Rimtan, the young jazz musician from Bohdran as he makes a flying entrance from a second floor Hooters restaurant in downtown Tempe, AZ. Since I didn’t have to be into work until 3:00 PM yesterday (it is now 1:18 AM and I just got home from work about half an hour ago) I had plenty of time to do some by-golly writing, and although I will admit that too much time was squandered in Facebook dithering and seeing if I really remembered how to play “Body and Soul” on the guitar, all in all it was a good day of writing production.

But after reading over some of my stuff during my dinner break at work, I think it is important that I point out the fact that the work I am posting here is EARLY DRAFT MATERIAL. This is kind of like the way a play comes together. If you watched the early rehearsals of a play, especially one where the script is still being fine tuned, the dance numbers worked out and the lighting and scenery still to come, you would think to yourself “This is all that professional theater people are capable of producing?” and wander away, shaking your head. Well, early drafts of a novel are kind of like that. It takes lots and lots of fine and not-so-fine tuning to take the rough material of what initially pours (or dribbles) out of an author’s imagination to turn it into a polished bit of storytelling. Everything from misspelled words to amazing gaps of logic in the storyline can be part of the first, second or third drafts. But without those early, oh so rough versions, there can be no shiny end product. You gotta have one before the other.

So please, keep in mind that what you are seeing here is not, by any means, the final product. You can see lots of final products at Borders and Barnes and Noble. But if you are interested in where that Final Product came from, I’d be mighty pleased to have you follow along as Close Enough for Jazz goes from basic idea to completed rough draft.

And then you can say “I was there. I witnessed the birth. And you know what? It was messy. But interesting.”

See ya.

No comments:

A Bit About Me

My photo
I am a writer with a longtime interest in photography. I'm a dad, husband, photographer, and not very good guitarist. My first novel, Boomerang, is available in both paperback and ebook form at Amazon, Barnes and Noble and Smashwords.com. As a matter of fact, my second novel, The Baer Boys, can be found at exactly the same places.