The Guilty Party

Saturday, August 22, 2009

Friday, August 21, 2009

I came pretty close to not posting anything for this day because I have nothing to report in the way of progress on the book. An entire day off from the day job, not much in the way of around the house chores to do, and really no running around chores either. And yet I made no headway in CEfJ. Don't know what it was, but even the thought of sitting down and trying to make actual prose come out of my head made me feel, well, I think the best way to describe it is an incredibly nasty case of inertia. Even though I knew that the one thing that would raise my spirits and make the day seem worthwhile was getting some writing done, I couldn't bring myself to do it. I did laundry, cleaned up the yard, messed around in the kitchen, watched more of my Crossroads Guitar Festival DVD, I even ironed about ten shirts. But all I wanted was for the time to pass, the rest of my family to get home from work and school, and go out for the evening.

That part of the day was just fine. We went to see "Julie and Julia", which is a wonderful movie with an incredible performance by Meryl Streep. The shots of Paris made me want to go there and Right Now. The food made me hungry. And the story about how Julie Powell brought focus, not to mention a degree of fame and fortune, to her life by blogging about her self-created goal of cooking her way through Mastering The Art of French Cooking in a year, made me more determined than ever to use my own blog to keep myself accountable. It would be nice if people actually started reading the damned thing, but whether that happens or not is really immaterial. What is important is that I finish Close Enough for Jazz and do it in a reasonable amount of time. And following Ms. Powell's timetable I have decided that a reasonable amount of time is going to be one year. By August, 2010 I will have the book ready to start sending queries to agents. A year may seem like a long time, especially to someone who has never attempted this novel writing nonsense, but considering the fact it took me over a decade to get my first one into print and even then I wasn't completely happy with it and jumped at the chance to rewrite it and bring it out under a different name, one year is a sprint from start to finish.


So if anybody wants to come along for the ride, that's great. If not, I suppose that will have to be fine too, since a writer's (or at any rate, a novelist's) work has always been of a solitary nature and the goal is mine alone.

See ya.

No comments:

A Bit About Me

My photo
I am a writer with a longtime interest in photography. I'm a dad, husband, photographer, and not very good guitarist. My first novel, Boomerang, is available in both paperback and ebook form at Amazon, Barnes and Noble and Smashwords.com. As a matter of fact, my second novel, The Baer Boys, can be found at exactly the same places.