The Guilty Party

Thursday, April 2, 2009

We Dance

*


So in my last entry here I ended with a wish that I had pocket angels to hand out. Seeing as how even if I did they would be of precious little practicality here on the web, perhaps I can come close by sharing something I just read whilst eating lunch.

There are a number of books I like to keep on the shelves above the den desk, handy at all times, a variety that spans reference works to novels to collections of poetry. One of them is The Power of Myth , the companion volume to the PBS series Bill Moyers did with Joseph Campbell in the mid-1980's. Today I took it down for my lunchtime reading and only got as far as the introduction. But that ends in a story Campbell told to Moyers that I really like.

In Japan for an international conference on religion, Campbell overhead another American delegate, a social philosopher from New York, say to a Shinto priest, "We've been now to a good many ceremonies and have seen quite a few of your shrines. But I don't get your ideology. I don't get your theology." The Japanese paused as though in deep thought and then slowly shook his head. "I think we don't have ideology," he said. "We don't have theology. We dance."

I have about ten minutes before I need to leave for work. Looks to me like a great opportunity to dance.


Go Ye Forth and Do Likewise.


*The photo is one I took many years ago of a friend whose exuberant, dancing spirit I was fortunate to capture in this shot. I hope she doesn't mind me using it here. It's perfect for the subject.

No comments:

A Bit About Me

My photo
I am a writer with a longtime interest in photography. I'm a dad, husband, photographer, and not very good guitarist. My first novel, Boomerang, is available in both paperback and ebook form at Amazon, Barnes and Noble and Smashwords.com. As a matter of fact, my second novel, The Baer Boys, can be found at exactly the same places.