The Guilty Party

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Oprah (yes, again) and a Great Big Hole in the Ground

It has been a while since my last post and I must say I have missed you all. Hope your March is going well. Mine has been pretty full in a nearly consistently good sort of way.

Here is what we have for today:

Firstly is the latest offer to come by way of OPRAH and THE CONTAINER STORE. As you know, I have a vested interest in this since my very nice day job is at Ye Not So Olde Container Store and a writer without a day job, while a glorious thing to behold, is a rare, not to mention hungry and quite likely poorly housed, beast. So it gives me great pleasure to once announce to my public that there is a
25% coupon for all things Container Store (which is a lot of neat stuff just about everybody needs) to be found on Oprah's website.

Link to Oprah's website, where you can click on over to the printable coupon. **


And now for the travelogue portion of our proceedings.

Day before yesterday, which would be Monday, we (that would be the family) took our second trip down past Tucson to Kartchner Caverns. If you either live in Arizona or happen to find yourself here at some time in the future for whatever reason, I do encourage you to check the place out. It is an easy, if somewhat boring, two and a half to three hour drive south of Phoenix, and the experience is terrific. There are two tours available, the Rotunda Room Tour, which is open year round, and the Big Room Tour, which closes up when the resident bats come to roost, which I understand is usually in early to mid April. According to Marlo, who was our guide on the Big Room Tour, somewhere between 700 and 1,000 female myotis bats (tiny things weighing in at about half an ounce) all of them pregnant, take over the place for the summer to do some serious birthing and catch up on how all their friends have been doing the past year. Play groups are established, stretch mark masking techniques are passed around and there is inevitably some swapping of stories concerning the decline of the overall quality of the male myotis bat population relative to grooming, culture and income generating capability. It is a good time to be a mama bat.

Considering the fact that the place becomes both a maternity ward and a nursery, they leave it pretty neat, with just a few concentrated piles of nice, clean guano on the floor and some smudges from unwiped bat feet on the ceiling. And even these have to be pointed out by the guide because it is just too easy to miss them as you goggle at the enormous variety of formations to be seen nearly every which way you turn.


A blog is no place to even attempt to describe the wonder of exploring (in a very neat, clean and safe touristy way) Kartchner Caverns. You can check out the website for a nice overview of the place and its interesting history. But nothing substitutes experiencing it yourself. Ain't that the way things always are?

Kartchner Caverns.

Only downside to the whole day was the car Hertz "upgraded" us to. I reserved a Chevy Impala or equivalent and they put us in a Mercury Grand Marquis. In other words, a boat designed in the late 1960's. Really. My father, God rest his soul, bought a big ol' 1969 Ford Custom 500 and it was one of the first cars I drove as a teenager. It had a lot of room on those two bench seats, which at that point in my life did seem like a good thing, but it was not what you would call a fun or exciting automobile to drive. The current model Grand Marquis I drove demonstrated very little in the way of advancement in the automotive arts from that Ford born forty years ago. And a big bench seat just doesn't seem that important anymore. Age will do that to a person.


**
And just in case you're wondering what to do with all that wonderful cash you're saving at The Container Store, may I suggest a terrifically fun read?

Close Enough for Government Work, by, well, by me, your host here at Sketches by Plumboz.

In the interest of full disclosure, I must tell you that the latest edition of this splendid book will be out soon. I gave it a fresh polish, a little bit of a rearranging of action at the beginning and a whole new title: Boomerang. It will be coming soon from YWO/Legend Press. So you have a really nifty choice. Buy the original, or wait for the new version, OR buy both and not only make an author very happy but ensure your place in the Good Karma Hall of Fame.




Go Ye Forth and Do Likewise

1 comment:

Timberati said...

I hear you.

In the '80s, my folks owned a 4-door Ford Grand Torino. It could go from zero to sixty in a tank of gas. We're talking tuna boat.

I had my own troubles at that time, due to family expansion. I traded in my beloved 1974 Honda Civic for a new 1981 Olds Cutlass.

Don't you think when you hear about bailing out Detroit, maybe Congress should run GM? How much worse could it be?

A Bit About Me

My photo
I am a writer with a longtime interest in photography. I'm a dad, husband, photographer, and not very good guitarist. My first novel, Boomerang, is available in both paperback and ebook form at Amazon, Barnes and Noble and Smashwords.com. As a matter of fact, my second novel, The Baer Boys, can be found at exactly the same places.