The Guilty Party

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Banana Nut Pancakes

I was recently sent a recipe exchange email by a good friend. Since I do have a history of posting recipes on my blog anyway I figured I might as well share my modest contribution with the somewhat wider circle of friends (and accidental droppers-by "Hello! Glad you're here!) I enjoy on both Blogger and MySpace.


Banana Nut Pancakes

1 cup of white whole wheat flour (King Arthur makes this and it's in most grocery stores now. Best price still seems to be at Trader Joes)

1 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
Note: if you don't have or don't want to get the white whole wheat flour, just use 2 1/2 cups of all purpose. I like to sneak some whole grain into my family's diet whenever I can and it does give a nice hearty flavor I like. I tried using just the whole wheat and they came out too heavy)

4 tablespoons of sugar

4 teaspoons of baking powder

1 teaspoon of salt

2 eggs (beaten)

2 cups of milk (whole or 2 percent work best)

2 tablespoons of canola oil (or any other vegetable oil. just don't use Crisco or that sort of thing)

2 semi-soft to soft bananas

pecans or walnuts, chopped

Sift the flour into a large mixing bowl. Add the sugar, baking powder and salt and mix it up with a regular old fork.

Combine the eggs, milk and canola oil, stir 'em up good and add to the dry ingredients. Mix thoroughly to make everything wet, but don't over mix to the point of no little lumps in the batter.

Break up the bananas into a bowl and mash 'em up with a fork. Get it to a puree sort of consistency, then add to the pancake batter. Stir it in completely but gently.

If everyone at the table likes nuts, mix in a handful of the chopped pecans or walnuts (heck, you can use whatever kind of nut you want, I'd just stay away from peanuts, which aren't really nuts anyway, but legumes).

If only some at the table like nuts, you can add these to selected pancakes when you pour the batter on the skillet.

Speaking of skillets, heat one up on the stove. I like medium heat, but you may need to see what works best on your stove. Spray a really light coating of Pam or its equivalent on the skillet and with a mixing spoon pour out your pancakes.

They are ready to flip when the edges have turned just slightly firm.

Keep made pancakes warm in a 200 degree oven while making the rest.

Make sure to spray the skillet every time before pouring out the batter.

Top with whipped cream, berries and candied pecans. Or just butter and maple syrup.

This recipe feeds my four person family. Cut it in half if you are cooking for two. The math is easy.


I wish you all good health and healthy appetites, for good food and for life.


Go Ye Forth and Do Likewise.

No comments:

A Bit About Me

My photo
I am a writer with a longtime interest in photography. I'm a dad, husband, photographer, and not very good guitarist. My first novel, Boomerang, is available in both paperback and ebook form at Amazon, Barnes and Noble and Smashwords.com. As a matter of fact, my second novel, The Baer Boys, can be found at exactly the same places.