The Guilty Party

Saturday, November 1, 2008

Abbreviated Excerpts

Abbreviated Readers’ Choice

I know everyone's time is valuable, so here are simply the opening sentences to my three in-progress novels. Which one, if any, would prompt you to keep reading?




Dash

by

Alan Hutcheson


Chapter One


Not all that long ago, Tuesday perhaps, in a land not quite so far away as you and I might like to think, there lived a youngish fellow named Dash Bailey.


From "The Baer Boys"


The Baer Boys
by

Alan Hutcheson




Prologue

It's a great speech from what might be the greatest play of all time. And I thought I was doing it pretty darned well. Hell, from where I stood, down stage center in the Angus Bowmer Theatre in Ashland, Oregon, I thought I was nailing it.


And finally, from "A Pm for Pittiana"

A PM for Pittiana


by Alan Hutcheson



PROLOGUE





Excerpt from the journal of Thomas Hutchinson

former Royal Governor of Massachusetts Colony


8, June 1775

Plymouth Port


Our party departed on the tide this morning from Plymouth harbor bound for Boston. We number fifty-three, among us eight families and seven single men, all persons of good background and breeding. The news late received through the good offices of the Earl of Chatham makes us bold to return to the land of our birth. His gracious services will long be remembered and his name forever upon our lips.

3 comments:

Anna said...

I'd continue reading 'Dash'. The jaunty style appeals.

I might well read the others too.

Lexi said...

Alan, I'n shocked.

Not one, but TWO 'I thoughts' in the first paragraph of The Baer Boys!

When you made me swear off 'I thought'.

Huh.

plumboz said...

Lexi,

I thought you wouldn't notice.

Dang, there I go again!

A Bit About Me

My photo
I am a writer with a longtime interest in photography. I'm a dad, husband, photographer, and not very good guitarist. My first novel, Boomerang, is available in both paperback and ebook form at Amazon, Barnes and Noble and Smashwords.com. As a matter of fact, my second novel, The Baer Boys, can be found at exactly the same places.