The Guilty Party

Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Of Frittatas and Penguins


Yesterday whilst driving home from work I was listening to NPR. Actually, the car radio was already tuned to NPR and I was about to punch the button that would have switched me to the CD function so I could listen to and sing along with (after my own peculiar fashion) Bryn Terfel in his interpretations of Broadway tunes, but when the announcer said that the next segment was going to feature Berkeley Breathed, creator of Bloom County and most specifically of Opus the Penguin, I left the controls alone.

The sad news is that Mr. Breathed is giving up his Sunday strip, which for the past several years has simply been called "Opus", in order to devote himself to his book writing. In fact he has a new book called Pete and Pickles out now. The entire interview is available to listen to on the link below, but here is what struck me about his primary reason for shifting away from Opus and devoting himself exclusively to childrens' books. It is because he likes the part of him that writes the books better. There is a part of him that wants to do what he calls "the Michael Moore" stuff and there is a part of him drawn toward the Walt Disney side and he has made a conscious decision to cultivate the Disney part. As much as I think we need the Michael Moores of the world, we are in desperate need of more Disneys, so I say "Good on you, Mr. Breathed."

Here's that link: NPR Interview.


Now to the frittata.

It has been a while since I've posted a recipe. I made this last night and I think it came out pretty good.

What's In the Fridge Frittata

As the name indicates, what I put in this dish was dictated by what was in the refrigerator the day before grocery shopping day.

Thinly slice an onion of the yellow variety, I used a Vidalia. Heat up a medium sized skillet over medium heat and pour in about a couple tablespoons of olive oil. Add the onion and cook it until it's tender.

Take seven eggs and whump 'em up pretty good.

In a bowl.

Don't be mean about it, just scramble 'em up good.

Add about a cup of grated mozzarella chee
se.

Some dried oregano (maybe a teaspoon)
Some freshly ground pepper (maybe a quarter of a teaspoon, do what you like)
A bit of salt.
A couple of good handfuls of spinach leaves, chopped up a bit.
Five or six crimini mushrooms, also chopped up a bit.

Give it all a good stir.

Thinly slice a roma tomato. Set it aside for just a bit.

If you've got a jar of sundried tomato, julienne style, pluck out maybe an eighth of a cup and let 'em drain on a paper towel.

When the onion is nice and tender, lower the temp to around medium-low and pour in the egg mixture. Give it a minute or two and then layer on the tomato slices and sundried tomato. Cover the skillet and cook until almost completely set.

In the meantime heat up your broiler.

When the eggs are almost done put the skillet under the broiler and finish it off.

This was good with a nice sourdough bread, which I sliced, drizzled with olive oil and gave a bit of time under the broiler right after I took the frittata out.


I hope everyone is doing well and eating healthy.


Go Ye Forth and Do Likewise.

No comments:

A Bit About Me

My photo
I am a writer with a longtime interest in photography. I'm a dad, husband, photographer, and not very good guitarist. My first novel, Boomerang, is available in both paperback and ebook form at Amazon, Barnes and Noble and Smashwords.com. As a matter of fact, my second novel, The Baer Boys, can be found at exactly the same places.