The Guilty Party

Monday, July 14, 2008

Me, Robot

Michelle, one of my MySpace friends, in a response to my little essay about the movie "Wall-E" expressed a bit of doubt as to whether a robot could hold her attention for an hour and a half. This prompted me to think just a bit (more than that and the pain kicks in) about just why I and so many others have found Wall-E so engaging. Heck, in many ways I identify with Pixar's rolling trash compactor. Here is how I replied to Michelle. I hope she doesn't mind me sharing the same thought here.


Thanks for checking out my blog. The thing with "non-human" characters, which are, let's face it, a staple in not only animated films but stories of all sorts from Greek mythology to Brother's Grimm to E.B. White, is that they actually allow us to see and feel the most fundamental elements of being human by allowing us to observe it in a different package. Wall-E is metal and treads and binocular eyes, but he is first and foremost a character with wants and needs and good things to offer in return. If you go to see the movie, notice how important it is to him to have contact, to feel connected. It doesn't get any more human than that.

Go Ye Forth and Do Likewise.

No comments:

A Bit About Me

My photo
I am a writer with a longtime interest in photography. I'm a dad, husband, photographer, and not very good guitarist. My first novel, Boomerang, is available in both paperback and ebook form at Amazon, Barnes and Noble and Smashwords.com. As a matter of fact, my second novel, The Baer Boys, can be found at exactly the same places.