The Guilty Party

Sunday, July 6, 2008

A Little Bit of This. A Little Bit of That




...The other evening my wife, daughter and I were watching The Music Man. It was my call, and honestly, it had taken some persuasion to get my two favorite ladies to watch Robert Preston, Shirley Jones and company with me, but I think they enjoyed it. The next evening my daughter and I watched Disney's Beauty and the Beast. I like musicals, whether in the theater or on the silver screen. Often I have wished that life itself could be a musical. Heck, wouldn't it be cool to have an invisible orchestra setting the mood, a talented lyricist providing you with just the right words and an incredible tunesmith supplying evocative melodies on command? Not to mention the health benefits to the general population from the dance classes required of all.

...Whilst putting back a small SUV in its correct spot on the lot yesterday after a not-so-fruitful test drive, I switched on the radio to the Sixties station on XM radio. What were they playing? One of the silliest, most indecipherable and yet inexplicably compelling songs sung by a fellow who in a much later decade would become identified as Professor Dumbledore. Yes, Richard Harris was singing "MacArthur Park". It is a long song and although it took mere seconds to put the SUV in its place, I sat and listened and of course, sang along until the song was done and they had moved on to "I Got You Babe" by Sonny and Cher. And you know what? It felt good. I still don't know what the cake was doing out in the rain and I don't care. Even though "it took so long to bake it and I'll never have that recipe again."

...I've been pondering the necessity of a role model. I think it would be a good idea. Just don't know who to burden with the responsibility. I will likely go with a person who has passed on. It will minimize the possibility of legal action I do believe.

Go Ye Forth and Do Likewise.

1 comment:

Lexi said...

Gah! Not MacArthur Park!

Clearly we do not see eye to eye on music, Alan. First Mozart, now this.

(Though it is certain you are more musical than I, I am not going to let that get in the way of my prejudices).

A Bit About Me

My photo
I am a writer with a longtime interest in photography. I'm a dad, husband, photographer, and not very good guitarist. My first novel, Boomerang, is available in both paperback and ebook form at Amazon, Barnes and Noble and Smashwords.com. As a matter of fact, my second novel, The Baer Boys, can be found at exactly the same places.