The Guilty Party

Sunday, June 1, 2008

Healthy Living


May 25, 2008


Healthy Living



I just started rereading an interesting book by Michael Gelb, How To Think Like Leonardo DaVinci. I think I have read it at least three times and one of these days I am hoping it will have a real and noticeable positive effect. One of my favorite little sections is a two pager called "The DaVinci Diet". I don't have time to copy the whole thing out for you (and we might be flirting with some sort of plagarism issue there anyway, but the upshot is to eat healthy stuff, drink lots of water, make meat portions small, don't get stuck in a rut (try new and interesting foods), my favorite "enjoy a little wine with dinner", and enjoy your food (whenever possible, dine, don't just "grab a bite").

It is all good advice.

Perhaps coincidentally, I recently received a nice email from a lovely and brilliant lady which lists forty things to do to lead a healthy and happy life. Here are a select few:

1: Take walks. Smile whilst walking.

2: Enjoy 10 minutes of silence each day.

3: Play games and read books. This may put a crimp on your television time. All the better.

4: Try to make at least three people smile each and every day. I assume this should be done in such a way that the people who are smiling are not simply reacting to a prank you might pull on some other unfortunate soul.

5: Don't compare your life to others'. You have no idea what their journey is all about.

6: Your job won't take care of you when you are sick. Your friends will. Stay in touch.

7: Enjoy the ride. Remember this is not Disney World and you certainly don't want a fast pass. You only have one ride through life so make the most of it and enjoy the ride.

All of these pointers are excellent. And I would definitely recommend Mr. Gelb's book to you and if you like I will forward the entire list of forty ways to make the most of each day.

But there is one thing I would like to add.

Enjoy a steady diet of hugs. These must be given and received for maximum benefit. If you have any inkling that someone precious to you is having a rough time, and especially if there is a possibility they could think they have been a disappointment to you, a hug is prescribed. And when one is offered, it is good to accept. There will be benefits for both parties.

Just be careful at work. And don't be creepy about it.


Go Ye Forth and Do Likewise.

6 comments:

Timber Beast said...

I usually am able to get #4 done with little to no effort with a "smile when you say that pardner." This phrase not only brings out smiles but snickers (and Milky Ways) and belly laughs.

plumboz said...

Norm,

Thanks for being the first to visit. When I have time I will do things like links and whatnot. Got to figure out how Lexi got those neat graphics on hers. Or not. I am a bit webly challenged.

Alan

Lexi said...

Woohoo!

I can comment!!

There'll be no stopping me now!!!

Well, Alan, this meets a long-felt want among your fans. Well done and hurrah!

(Do you need the word verification? I've never used it, and never had any trouble).

I'll be back...

plumboz said...

Word verification? Ah, that's right, the little squiggly letters that irritate me and make me adjust or remove my spectacles to decipher if the ones that are not only squiggly but mashed together.

Hadn't thought about it, but I guess we'll see. Can't see the attraction here for ne'er do wells. But that is the thing with ne'er do wells, they often don't need much in the way of reason to be poopheads.

Lexi said...

I have only been troubled by two possible ne'er do wells on my blog, but they were Spanish, so I was not certain. I just deleted them.

Well, their comments. Not them, that would have been over-reacting.

And illegal.

Timber Beast said...

An attack of the web-bots caused me to start word verification. You can try to ignore them but once they have the address they just spam you into oblivion.

Some spammer has been using my domain name for sending purposes (one replies/goes to a place within the spam's message). I'll get back a thousand or two returned messages.

I hate spammers.

A Bit About Me

My photo
I am a writer with a longtime interest in photography. I'm a dad, husband, photographer, and not very good guitarist. My first novel, Boomerang, is available in both paperback and ebook form at Amazon, Barnes and Noble and Smashwords.com. As a matter of fact, my second novel, The Baer Boys, can be found at exactly the same places.